It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
I'm currently usin PDFCreator 1.4.0 in server mode. As I couldn't leave an open session, I used SRVAN.EXE and INSTSRV.EXE to run pdfcreator as a system service (http://www.dsfc.net/infrastructure/impression-infrastructure/pdfcreator-service-windows/ [FR]). This does the trickand work apparently well. Though, I sometimes get an error on generated document. The document is generated but at the very end of it stands a blank page containing this:
ERROR: undefinedfilenameOFFENDING COMMAND: C:\Windows\Temp\PDFCreator\Spool\C8C5CB33F2EA4095A51EC6A74542593D.mtdSTACK:
I did not cut the stack, there is none.
I searched over the internet and I did not find any suitable answer. I tried to open security as far as possible on the C:\Windows\Temp\PDFCreator\Spool\ folder (everybody, full control) but no luck on this. I also checked that TEMP and TMP environment variables point to the same location and it does.
The weird thing is that on the same document, It sometimes work perfectly, sometimes not. No specific document type (docx, html, ...). Am I missing some configs ? Sorry if this had already been asked, I really didn't find it.
As a piece of information, while I was looking for some topics about it, I googleized this:
"ERROR: undefinedfilename" pdfcreator
and found half a douzen of document printed like mine on the first result page (good ranking by the way).
Hope somebody will help me finding my probable mistake.
this is most likely due to non-ascii chars in the title, which then in turn will be used as filename (depending on your Auto-Save filename settings). Some non-ascii chars do work, but other don't, especially chinese chars cause problems there.
As a test, you could use just <DateTime> in your auto-save filename settings, as this will always result in proper filenames.
Thank you philip for your answer. I tried to change this. I've set as configuration these options:
- autosave folder is a non parametred onr ("D:\pdfDrop\")
- autosave filename is <DateTime> (I also tried a fixed filename "generated.pdf")
But I still have the same behaviour, understand sometimes the document is Ok, sometimes not with different .mdt filename but always in the same folder ("C:\Windows\Temp\PDFCreator\Spool\") and still no stack.
In a single sentense, every parameters had been set to fixed value and still throwing error apparently randomly.
May the 1.4.1 version fix this ? Is the "running as a service" may produce such a matter ?
I did make the update to 1.4.1 version. It apparently fixes the problem but now, I am not able to set option into print monitor. Indeed, I tried to open "Options" form to set again the "Auto-save", I can set it once but when window is closed, it resets back to initial configuration (disabling auto-save and everything else). Is that a known issue for 1.4.1 ?
yes it´s a known issue, you can read more about it here: http://www.pdfforge.org/forum/open-discussion/9032-bug-group-policies.
Is fixed next version.
I was also having the ERROR: undefinedfilename issue (running 1.4.3 as a service).
I believe for me the issue was that PDFCreator was in the Startup folder on the start menu for all users so when a user logged on you would get a second copy of PDFCreator running under the users account as well as the service. Some of the user accounts that logged on had fairly restrictive permissions which I believe caused the error to occur when the copy running under the users account was processing the print queue.
To resolve this I simply removed PDFCreator from the Startup folder so that the only copy running is the service.
Hopefully this will help someone.