Change default printer

Hi,

I’m having trouble changing the default printer setting in Pdf Architect. I have installed a new printer, which is set as the default printer in Windows 10. However, Pdf Architect will only look for the old printer (see screenshot) which no longer exists. I get the error message:

“OpenPrinter ‘Borther MFC 609630 DW Printer’ failed with error 'Access is denied”

So i can no longer select the new printer in Pdf Architect as the printer options are frozen (see screenshot). The old printer no longer exists in Windows 10 printer settings, so I have no means of deleting it manually.

Can you please help?

Thanks,

James

Hi,

sorry for the trouble.
Which version of PDF Architect do you currently have installed?
As a first attempt, please try if reinstalling PDF Architect solves the issue.

Best regards

Robin

We are having the exact same problem with PDF Architect 5 Professional on Windows 10 Professional. A new printer was installed and now PDF Architect displays an error that it cannot find the old printer, and all options to change the printer are greyed out. I have tried re-adding the old printer again (named exactly the same as before) and the error still shows. I have repaired the installation, and also uninstalled then reinstalled the application.

I hate to bring old topics back to life, but when the problem is not answered or solved - maybe it will help in the future.

I had this exact problem (updated printer drivers, 2 copies of 1 printer etc) the software linked to the old driver and then went into the crash loop. (two different machines - its a networked printer).
In any case:

1. Rebooting the machine worked on win 10 desktop 1
  2. File - Options - General - "DISABLE" Hibernate on close for fast launch (restart the software)

IE: clear the software's cache of known printers (did not see a cfg or registry setting for this information)

Hope this helps with anyone dealing with this problem in the future.

I know this is an old post, but I recently ran into this issue and resolved it, so would like to post the solution for any future Googlers out there facing this problem.

1. Close PDF Architect, open file explorer and go to %APPDATA% (C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming)
  2. Open PDF Architect folder and there will be a folder named "Printer"
  3. Delete "printer.json" from that folder
  4. Try printing again and it should resolve the issue