Do you trust this Printer?

I’m installing printers via Group Policy Preferences. It’s failing with “0x80070bcb the specified printer driver was not found and needs to be downloaded”. I already have removed point and print restrictions and UAC prompting. It only fails on printers created with PDF Creator(Server). If I manually click on the printer by navigating to the printer server \printerServer I get a message, do you trust this printer?

Is the PDFCreator driver an actual Printer Driver? As it seems point and print restrictions don’t have any effect. Is there a work around to this? I would prefer to install using GPP as it affords more control.

We’re having the same issue. Has anyone figured this out?

Hi,

This happens because some time ago Microsoft introduced update KB3163912, which breaks point and print restrictions GPO settings. We are working on a package aware printer driver so that this won’t happen. For now the only way to get around that is to remove KB3163912.

Best regards

what is the time frame on this? i have server edition and i really need to push these printers out and this is really hindering me.

Hi, is there any News to this Topic? We are mapping our Printers with GPOs and this behaviour is stopping us to use a central pdf Printer.

The “error” seems not only related with KB3163912. I checked twice and we don’t have this KB installed.

BR Marc

We are deploying our printers to Citrix Xenapp 6.5 servers running Server 2008 R2 using Group Policy Deployment instead of the Group Policy preferences at the moment. It’s been a while since I originally tested the Group Policy Preferences. I believe we still get a prompt regarding trusting the print driver and have not tested further. We are also using PDFCreator Server v1.04 Build 328. I did configure a couple of group policies. One for Point and Click Printer deployment and one for allowing users to install device drivers for these classes:

4d36e979-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318
4658ee7e-f050-11d1-b6bd-00c04fa372a7

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc725772(v=ws.11).aspx#bkmk_1

I’m not sure I got the classes right and I’ve long since moved on to other problems without fully solving this one… That’s what I can recall, hope this helps.

How is the Status about a PackageAware driver?

Hi,

we have made good progress on it, we now have a package aware driver but we still need to complete the testing and then the setup/printerhelper needs to get adjusted to be able to install/update/remove the new driver.
In case you’d like a test version of the driver, please send us a mail to support(at)pdfforge.org

Best regards,

Robin

2 Likes

Hi,

sorry I seemed to have overlooked this thread for some time, it is fixed in PDFCreator Server 1.1.1, which comes with a package aware driver. Unfortunately the update doesn’t seem to replace the driver in all cases, please check if the driver is package aware in the server’s print management. If it didn’t get replaced properly, we can provide instructions on how to replace it with help of the printerhelper.exe. You will get up to 2 prompts when initially installing the new driver on the server, but the clients won’t get any if the GPOs are configured accordingly.

Best regards,

Robin

I’m having the issue where version 1.1.1 is installed but the print management app says that the driver package status is false. Could you let me know what to do to fix? Many thanks

Hi,

sorry for the trouble.
Did you install it as update, or as fresh install?
In all cases we have observed so far, it is a problem during the update. If you don’t have a lot of settings/printers, uninstall PDFCreator Server and installing it again afterwards is probably the easiest solution. Or you can use the printerhelper.exe from the main PDFCreator folder to reinstall the printer manually; if you’d prefer this, please let us know and we will provide instructions.

Best regards,

Robin

Hi - thanks for responding. I’ve setup a fair few printers and deployed manually to some devices. Would be good to be able to retain the settings if possible. Happy to do a bit of fiddling if necessary. Grateful if you could let me know what I need to do.

Happy to try the printerhelper.exe route to get the upgraded packaged drivers in place. Please could you let me know the instructions.

Hi,

first run cmd.exe as admin and execute
printerheler.exe /uninstallprinter
now check if all PDFCreator printer dirvers were successfully removed and then execute
printerhelper.exe /installprinter "printername" /portapplication "C:\program files\PDFCreator\PrintJobSource.exe" /server /c

If you prefer we can also send you the driver package by email.

Best regards,

Robin