Exception Error

Hello after installing the latest Windows 7 updates multiple users are receiving an Exception Error. Please see the error below. I will post the offending Windows update KB when I have the answer. Also the PDF is still created. It just throws an error afterwards.

Hi,

updating to a recent version could potentially fix the issue, the version you are using is several years old.
http://www.pdfforge.org/pdfcreator/download

Best regards

Robin

Hi Robin,

I would love to update to the newest version but our AV RTS flags the newest version as grayware.

Here are the details: PUA_WebCompanion

Hopefully you can fix this in a later version.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike,

the free version does contain an offer screen for WebCompanion, but it is just an optional offer during the setup and won’t get installed without consent. You can check the setup on virustotal.com, where you can see that only a very small percentage of security products have an issue with the file. PDFCreator 2.2.2 also contains the optional offer screen, so it seems to be a pretty random detection.
Alternatively, PDFCreator Business doesn’t contain any offer screen and has far less issues with causing false security alerts. We are also trying to get rid of any false alerts for the freeware, but especially PUA are hard to get rid of, as there is no proper definition for potentially unwanted applications and even displaying a single ad during the setup can be potentially unwanted.

Best regards

Robin

Hi,

it seems this is a major issue related to one of the latet updates.
Our error reporting tool has reported 0 of these errors before May 6th and currently is receiving several reports on this per minute. On first sight, it seems only Win7-8.1 is affected, but all PDFCreator versions are, so most likely it is connected to the update of the .NET framework.
Will let you know as soon as we find out more.

Best regards

Robin

Hello Robin,

Any progress on this issue and has a sollution been found ?

Richard.

Hi,

I am afraid we haven't been able to reproduce this here, the update alone isn't enough to trigger the error.
Are you getting this error, too? If yes, are you using PDFCreator in connection with remote desktops?
Do you get the error every time you close PDFCreator, or only some of the time?

Best regards

Robin

It currently seems this is cause by a bug in the WeakEventListener which is part of the .NET framework, we will implement a work around for this issue with the next PDFCreator update and prevent it from creating error reports, but only Microsoft can fix the actual bug in the WeakEventListener.

Hi Robin,

A quick reply. We use PDFcreator on Windows 7 pc's. Nothing with remote desktops.or things like that. As far as i can see we get this error everytime we use PDFCreator on those systems that are updated with the latest patches. We follow m$ updates rather stringently. I read your mesage that a solution/fix is on the way so i'll wait for that and see if that fixes it.

Richard.

Hi Richard,

we are pretty certain to have isolated and worked around the issue,
would you like to test our new version to ensure it actually fixes it?
If anybody else is getting this error and would like to test the fixed update, please let us know.

Best regards

Robin

Hello Robin,

Tested the 3.2.2 version and the problem is gone. Tested on two systems so far and none of them is showing the prioblem anymore.

Richard.

Hi Robin,

I just tried downloaded the new version 3.2.2 and again our firewall are blocking it as malware. Here is the info if it helps.

Disposition: Malware
Threat name: PUA.Win.Trojan.Webcompanion::75.sbx.vioc