Fully silent install

According to the instructions, the silent install option does not suppress error messages, which appear in dialog boxes requiring user interaction.  I need an absolutely silent install where error responses are returned as exit codes or written to a log file, and there is NO CHANCE of any dialog boxes appearing.  Is there any way this can be done?  Can this feature be added to a future release?

Hello Rb,

I'm new to PDFCreator, i was asked to create a silent install myself and here's how i did it.

I launched the setup as follows

PDFCreator0_9_8_setup.exe /saveinf="C:\\pdf.inf"

/saveinf="C:\\pdf.inf" this option saves the options you select during install into an INF file which you can use when installing the software.

This then launched the installation and i chose the options i required, i selected the following

Standard Installation

Name of printer = PDFCreator

Destination = C:\\Program Files\\PDFCreator

Removed tick to install Yahoo Toolbar

Under Custom installation i removed "PDFCreator Browser Add On for Internet Explorer and Firefox" - i believe this is what was causing the installation error Access is Denied message for me.

Next i removed "Create a desktop icon" Click Next then click Install and Finish

To test the installation uninstall PDFCreator and install using the following parameters

PDFCreator0_9_8_setup.exe /SP /VERYSILENT /NORESTART /LOADINF="C:\\pdf.inf"

The main thing to look at in the installation parameter is /LOADINF="C:\\pdf.inf" this is telling the installation to install with the settings we saved earlier.

I hope this helps you out and my instructions are clear and concise enough!

For installation parameter help goto this link

http://en.pdfforge.org/content/setup-command-line-parameters

Let me know

very useful note - I've used this in our company image for a couple of apps

cheers!

Thanks

One issue I have is, when I install and create the .ini file and don’t select PDF Architect it installs without PDF Atchitect.

When I test with the .ini file i just created
PDFCreator-1_6_0_setup_offline.exe /SP /VERYSILENT /NORESTART /LOAD="c:\pdfC
torCTX.ini"

It installs PDF Architect. All other settings from the .ini are picked up.  Any suggestions to resolve that.
Here is the ini file, 

[Setup]
Lang=english
Dir=C:\Program Files (x86)\PDFCreator
Group=PDFCreator
NoIcons=0
SetupType=custom
Components=program,ghostscript,comsamples,helpfiles,helpfiles\english,languages,languages\english
Tasks=
Printername=PDFCreator
ServerInstallation=0
Win9xPrinterdriver=0
WinNtPrinterdriver=0
Win2k32bitPrinterdriver=0
Win2k64bitPrinterdriver=0
Offer=1

Hi,

your .ini file looks good, are you sure it actually installed the PDFArchitect (PDFArchitect doesn´t get uninstalled together with PDFCreator, which one could assume)?

regards,

Robin

I found the same problem reported by fremoy, I get PDF Architect even though it was unselected when creating the answer file.

I ran the PDFCreator installer with the following command line parameters:

PDFCreator-1_6_2_setup.exe /SAVEINF=pdfcreator.inf

[Setup]
Lang=english
Group=PDFCreator
NoIcons=0
SetupType=custom
Components=program,ghostscript,comsamples,helpfiles,helpfiles\english,languages,languages\english
Tasks=desktopicon,desktopicon\common,winexplorer
Printername=PDFCreator
ServerInstallation=0
Win9xPrinterdriver=0
WinNtPrinterdriver=0
Offer=0

I run the following silent installation string:

PDFCreator-1_6_2_setup.exe /ForceInstall /SP- /VERYSILENT /NOCANCEL /NORESTART /LOADINF=pdfcreator.inf

The command line parameters make no particular mention of PDF Architect:

http://www.pdfforge.org/content/setup-command-line-parameters

Any suggestions on the best way to troubleshoot this problem?

Hi,

I couldn´t reproduce this here, did you use the web setup or the offline installer? So far I only tested the web setup and it works fine on my winXP virtual machine.

regards,

Robin

Ok Robin may be you are even not on Win7? because i experience the exact same problem with the 1.6.2 french on seven. It is very annoying!
Pdfarchitect is a good idea but neither the wot rating of your payment site (no euros?) neither the price make it worth to “evaluate” the product.
Thank you for your response ASAP.

Thanks for response, the way i test is may be bad, i didn’t reboot before install (after manual uninstall of both pdfcreator and pdf architect). Concerning the command line verified, verified the inf also.

Hi,

yes I also tested it on Win7 /Web-Setup and offline installer) and it definitly works as it should here.
The PDFArchitect gets installed, if it is included in the components section, otherwise it doesn´t.
Are you sure the PDFArchitect wasn´t on your machine allready (it doesn´t get uninstalled together with PDFCreator)?
@fremoy you need .inf files, not .ini also it is LOADINF and not just load.

regards,

Robin

I was using the offline installer, PDFCreator-1_6_2_setup.exe as the basis for the install.  After the first run on the test machine, I specifically uninstalled PDF Architect before rerunning the test.  I still got Architect.  I tried a full rebuild on the test machine to ensure that it had no folder or Registry entries and still got Architect. 

I also added a logging file to the install but there is no mention of Architect in the log file (unless I’m missing something).  There is no mention in the log file of the creation of the Architect directory:  "C:\Program Files (x86)\PDF Architect\PDF Architect.exe"

I think my next step may be to generate an inf file that does include Architect and compare it against the one that supposedly does not (though I don’t think the inf file is the problem).

I ran the interactive setup to include Images2PDF and PDFArchitect in the pdfcreator.inf file and used the INNO setup log file.  The log file did not capture any mention of PDF Architect.  I think that it opens a new installer and therefore is a separate process from the main installer.  The newly generated inf file is as follows:

[Setup]
Lang=english
Group=PDFCreator
NoIcons=0
SetupType=custom
Components=program,ghostscript,images2pdf,pdfarchitect,comsamples,helpfiles,helpfiles\english,languages,languages\english
Tasks=desktopicon,desktopicon\common,winexplorer
Printername=PDFCreator
ServerInstallation=0
Win9xPrinterdriver=0
WinNtPrinterdriver=0
Offer=0

Given that removing the “images2pdf,pdfarchitect” from the inf file still installs Architect, there must be a problem with the installer.

Hi,

somehow this doesn´t happen on every machine (It seems impossible to recreate this problem here). This makes the problem very hard to track down.
The .exe of the offline installer is called PDFCreator-1_6_2_setup_offline.exe , but both work fine on a completly fresh VM.

regards,

Robin

I have the same problem with this inf file :

[Setup]
Lang=french
Group=PDFCreator
NoIcons=0
SetupType=custom
Components=program,ghostscript,languages,languages\\english,languages\\french
Tasks=
Printername=PDFCreator
ServerInstallation=0
Win9xPrinterdriver=0
WinNtPrinterdriver=0
Toolbar=0
Offer=0

With 1.7.0 on windows 7 x64 pro French

Hi.

I think this is my first comment, but this problem bothered me too, so I wanted to tell you my solution.

PDFCreator Setup always installed PDFArchitect, so i chose to use the commandline parameter for the components instead of the LOADINF command and it works:

PDFCreator-1_7_0_setup.exe /VERYSILENT /FORCEINSTALL /NORESTART /COMPONENTS="program,ghostscript,languages,languages\\english,languages\\german" /NOICONS

Afterwards I delete (with a simple del batch command) the desktop icon and it's done. Maybe you could load the inf file anyway for the other parameters, but it seems there is a problem with loading the inf file and interpreting the component parameter.

So maybe if you want:

PDFCreator-1_7_0_setup.exe" /LOADINF="settings.inf" /VERYSILENT /FORCEINSTALL /NORESTART /COMPONENTS="program,ghostscript,languages,languages\\english,languages\\german" /NOICONS

But I didn't try this, just an idea for inspiration ;-)

Anyway, using the direct parameters works fine for me.

PDFCreator Version: 1.7.0
Windows Version: Windows 7 Ultimate/Professional x64 German

Update:

Hi again.

Just as I updated my clients with this method, a few of them get an error message 339 (mscomct2 not or wrong registered, file missing or corrupt) << free translation from the German message

So I have to uninstall them, reboot and install them again, then it works.

greetings

Hi, next time when you get an error 339, usually running PDFCreator as admin once solves the problem.

regards,

Robin

Hi Robin!

Thx for your Reply. I'll try and tell you the result

greetings

Hi me again.

I tried the tip with run as admin, but it did not work, same error.

But I found out, if you kill the PDF Creator Process before uninstalling/reinstalling the new Version, you do not have to reboot your PC.

greetings