License problems

Hello,

We have installed PDFCreator Terminal Server version 2.3.1.

Yesterday our customer starts PDF Creator and the get the error that the license is not valid.

Do the need to renew the license every year?

Can you help us what to do?

Hi,

yes PDFCreator Terminal Server is based on a yearly license model, here is a link to the renewal instructions:
http://www.pdfforge.org/pdfcreator/plus/extend

Best regards,

Robin

Hi,
I am receiving the same error.
This is for licenses purchased only last week, which show with an expiry date in July 2018

Hi David,

while it is a very similar error, I think the OP’s license did actually expire.
I have responded to your email and we will try to find out what is causing the issue.

Best regards,

Robin

I am very sorry if this is not in the right place...but I am new and can not find how to add a new message.

I have a lifetime license and received this error today:
Your license for "PDF Creator Plus 2.5.3" is invalid or has expired.
Please check your license, otherwise PDFCreator will shutdown.
Do you want to check your license now?
When I clicked ok the following window opened:

You will see it shows an expiration date 8/10/17 not sure why it is showing this date or why this error has appeared.

Hope you can help me understand what is happening.
Thanks
Sue

Hi,

your license will never expire, but PDFCreator does regularly contact the license server to update its activation, which expires if PDFCreator can’t contact the license server for 7 days, but even if you didn’t use PDFCreator for 7 days or more, it should have automatically requested a new activation without displaying any error messages. I am not sure why you got the error message; according to our license server logs, there weren’t any failed activation attempts for your license. If you get the error again, please send us PDFCreator log which you can find in the debug section of the PDFCreator application settings.

Best regards,

Robin

Thanks for all your help.

I purchased PDF Architect 2.0 years ago. Only used it a couple of times. Since then my computer has been reset. I have the activation code, but your system won’t allow me to activate it. States: “ErrorCode 589825, Description: Db. The number of available activations for this license is exceeded.” I have been looking for a customer service number or email to get some assistance but this is all I found. Can you help me?
Thanks,
Tyler

We purchased the Terminal Server Version 3.0 and get an error about once a week and have to have the administrator reactivate it.

Hi,

this most likely means the PDFCreator Licensing Service is running from an account which doesn’t have internet access or can’t write to HKLM, please check http://docs.pdfforge.org/pdfcreator/latest/en/pdfcreator/installing-pdfcreator/installation-on-a-terminal-server/#activation-service-for-terminal-servers and ensure the service is setup accordingly. The service will automatically handle the activations in the background without requiring any user interaction.

Best regards,

Robin

Hi Tyler,

you can send us the license key to support(at)pdfforge.org or send it to me as pm, we will deactivate it and give you a new one. Probably the ID which PDF Architect uses to identify the machine changed when your computer was reset, but a new key will solve the issue.

Best regards,

Robin

We are also having this problem on terminal servers, with version 3.0.2
the pdfcreator license service is running under the system account,
weird thing is we are running the software on 5 servers and just 2 of the show this error,
which forces us to renew the license weekly (and shows the error to all the users on that server)

Hi,

you could use the offline activation on the 2 problematic machines, although there has to be something different about them, in some cases it can be very hard to find the cause of the issue.
http://www.pdfforge.org/pdfcreator/plus/offline-activation

Best regards,

Robin

we have tried the offline activation, it did give us a better hope because off the activation valid till date,
which now was on the correct date somewhere halfway 2018 instead of 1 week forward,
but again all our users got this annoying message,

see this screenshot
pdfcreator

the license is valid, the date is in the far future but the activation is not valid

if your going to force people to pay for a product make sure it works correctly

Hi,

sorry for the trouble, we did carefully test the licensing before the release but it is very hard test all possible scenarios, so unfortunately some issues did make it into production. While the offline activation got overwritten by an online activation (which changed the activation expiry date), the main issue according to the current screenshot seems to be that the user got a popup despite of the activation still being valid. Or was the screenshot taken several days ago (on the 22nd)?

Best regards,

Robin

this pop-up is from this day 27th
which makes it even weirder.

Hello I am also getting the same error message on multiple users in my Citrix environment. We've had them log off and log on and that sometimes resolves the challenge, but then others still get the message. Is this a known challenge? Is there a resolution?

Hi,

updating to the latest version 3.0.3 will solve many known issues.
I have looked at the source together with another developer and we think the issues might be caused by cloning machines in such a way that the machine name changes during deployment. This will lead to a mismatch of the actual machine ID and the machine ID contained in license server answer in the registry. In some cases, the license service will run and correct the problem before any user notices it, but prior to PDFCreator 3.0.3 the license service will not automatically refresh the activation when the service is started (it activates at a random time once a day), so there can be a time frame where users don’t have a valid activation. Or do the images not get cloned regularly/does anything in your observations contradict this theory?

Best regards,

Robin

Hello Robin,

We had to acquire new licences so that we were able to actually install the updated version of PDF Creator. Once that was installed, we pushed our template to our environment and it appears that the program is looking at the Machine ID of the session computer and not the original template which is causing our users to not be able to use the program. We are getting more an more associates unable to run the program now.

All the other information is correct, it's just replacing the MachineID with not what was used on the template and therefore the application is seeing it as an unlicensed copy.

Please assist.

Hi,

the machine ID will always get calculated directly on the clone, but as long as there are enough free activations available for the license, this shouldn’t cause any problems. According to the license server, there are still 2 “old” PDFCreator 2.x machine IDs activated which could potentially be causing the issue. Also, machine XASAPP099P has been blocked manually, is this correct or would you like me to unblock it?
If you can confirm you aren’t any longer using PDFCreator 2.x on any of the machines, I can reset the activations on the license server which should solve the issue.

Best regards

Robin