No print dialog

On a Windows 8.1 machine, PDFCreator 1.9.2.395 when I click print from Word, no document is actually printed until I open PDFCreator, then the document is auto created and displayed. Shouldn’t a dialog box pop up and print immediately, and if I didn’t have auto create set, prompt me for a name to save the pdf?

Yes, that of course should be expected to happen. On our Windows 8.1 machines this also happens as expected.

Can you set the logging level in the application settings to trace and send us the resulting log file?

Ok, it this is expected I understand. The non-test version immediately prints so I was expecting the same actions. Thanks.

Hi,

your expectations are correct, a dialog box popping up is what is expected to happen, or instant coversion if auto-save is enabled. Sorry for the confusion, logs would be awesome.

regards,

Robin 

Ok, here is the log file data. This gets created immediately after I print to pdf, but before I manually open PDFCreator. Please note that the path is not entirely there, it seems to be truncating, the path is actually
C:\Users\luke martz\Documents\Work\Simpson\VSDEV\SDCO\DoorProductCosting\ProjectDocumentation\SystemRequirements (there is a space between luke martz)

2014-05-23 01:50:54.0691 [Error] pdfforge.PDFCreator.Program.TryStartApplication: There was an error while starting the application: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path ‘C:\Users\luke’ is denied.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream…ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream…ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access)
at pdfforge.DataStorage.Storage.IniStorage.ReadData(String path, Boolean clear)
at pdfforge.PDFCreator.Core.Jobs.JobInfo…ctor(String infFile, ApplicationSettings appSettings)
at pdfforge.PDFCreator.JobInfoQueue.Add(String jobInfo)
at pdfforge.PDFCreator.Program.TryStartApplication(CommandLineParser commandlineParser, String newJob)

Hi,

please check the permissions forPDFCreators temporary spool folder (%USERPROFILE%\AppData\local\temp\pdfcreator\spool to see if the user running PDFCreator has full acces to this folder.

best regards

I’m also having this problem. Though oddly everything was fine Friday and now on Monday I get the following log entry:

2014-06-02 18:05:43.3074 [Error]
pdfforge.PDFCreator.App.TryStartApplication: There was an error while starting
the application: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path
‘C:\Users\Chad\AppData\Local\Temp\PDFCreator\Spool\4BAC6CE615D84E55B00ACBBBE6E1F0D5.inf’
is denied.<o:p></o:p>

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)<o:p></o:p>

at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess
access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize,
FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean
bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)<o:p></o:p>

at System.IO.FileStream…ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess
access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath,
Boolean bFromProxy)<o:p></o:p>

at System.IO.FileStream…ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess
access)<o:p></o:p>

at pdfforge.DataStorage.Storage.IniStorage.ReadData(String path, Boolean
clear)<o:p></o:p>

at pdfforge.PDFCreator.Core.Jobs.JobInfo…ctor(String infFile,
ApplicationSettings appSettings)<o:p></o:p>

at pdfforge.PDFCreator.JobInfoQueue.Add(String jobInfo)<o:p></o:p>

at pdfforge.PDFCreator.App.TryStartApplication(CommandLineParser
commandlineParser, String newJob)<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

<o:p>

The one thing I did late Friday that may have changed something that I haven’t yet rooted out is I installed  NewSoft CD Labeler so I could prinbt to DVD media on my Brother printer. But I’ve uninstalled that, run registry cleanups, installed- uninstalled-reinstalled both PDFCreator versions 1.9.3 and 1.7.3 multiple times and I’ve made no headway.

Though at the rate our posts aren’t being responded to, I guess I’ll just hold my breath too…

</o:p>

Thanks for the feedback and luck:)

Thank you Robin, I had checked the permissions before posting but apparently I had to make sure the spool folder existed and take ownership of it's permissions too. Before I posted I only had the parent PDFCreator folder in appdata. But after some tinkering I got it to create the spool folder too.

Everything seems to be working now. Good luck on figuring out why we're losing our folder permissions...

Thank you Robin, I had checked the permissions before posting but apparently I had to make sure the spool folder existed and take ownership of it's permissions too. Before I posted I only had the parent PDFCreator folder in appdata. But after some tinkering I got it to create the spool folder too.

Everything seems to be working now. Good luck on figuring out why we're losing our folder permissions...

I had posted an update but it disappeared? I’m still having problems with the permissions. They keep reverting without me as owner. At least once a week I have to set the security tab again on the PDFCreator Temp folder.

Hi,

not sure what happened with your last update, if it was deleted, it was not done intentially.
Do you have any cleanup tools on your system, or any (security) software you can think of which might change permissions for folders? Do the permissions only change for PDFCreators temp folder, or for the entire users temp folder?

best regards,

I have been using Norton 360 for years for security and system maintenance and have never seen it change permissions on anything after running a job. I don’t think it can. Also, only PDFCreator seems to be having trouble. No other folders in AppData/Local/Temp have bad permissions and all of my other software is running as normal.

I had to fix the permissions again just today before I could begin work creating PDF invoices.

I can’t find anything in the Event Log showing anything changing these permissions. I may not be looking in the right places…

Further research shows that the root of the problem is that the ownership/permissions are a mess for AppData/Local/Temp, AppData/Local/Temp/PdfCreator and AppData/Local/Temp/PdfCreator/Spool.

There’s no way for me to know if you’re messing up these folder permissions or if there is something else I have running that’s doing it but I doubt it’s something I’m running because I never have this kind of problem except with PDFCreator.

Fully setting all permissions on all 3 of the above folders for SYSTEM, Adminstrators and my user account restores program functionality. But again, it doesn’t stay that way. Is PDFCreator modifying these folder permissions during use?

Interestingly I’ve since gone to using 1.9.5 since it’s been released and it reports this issue but cannot fix it. So the fact that you’re coding to report it means this isn’t a new issue for you…

I have used PDFCreator for years, but PDFCreator (v1.7.3 and v1.9.5) WILL NOT WORK on my computer anymore!

There appears to be a permissions issue related to the following folder:

C:\\Users\\John\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\PDFCreator

Owner, System and Spooler accounts have been associated with this folder, but NO permissions have been granted.

Could you please provide: a list of folders that PDFCreator will access as well as the expected permissions.

Thank you.

CONTEXT

Windows 7 Pro (SP1)

It will access C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Temp\PDFCreator and C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Temp\PDFCreator\spool and needs the user running PDFCreator and the system account to have read/write permissions. In most cases this problem is caused by incorrect permission for the C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Temp folder which then get inherited by the PDFCreator subfolder.

best regards,