PDFCreator Request - automatically process spool

I am hoping to learn more about the spool set up and why it is behaving in a way that I do not understand. With some activities, my files are processed using the auto-save feature that I have configured and other times items just build up in my user spool folder. The files that build up in that queue are subsequently processed after launching the PDFCreator app. Whether I have the app closed or open it and leave it open, files will still continue to build up until I close the app and reopen it. Is there a way for this spool folder to just be monitored/processed all the time so that I don’t have to manually launch and close the PDFCreator app?

Hi,

please try if reinstaling PDFCreator solves this problem, you shouldn’t need to open/close the application manually to start the conversion.

Best regards,

Robin

I have uninstalled version 2.4.1 and installed version 2.5.1 and I am experiencing the same behavior. Full disclosure, I am printing reports from software controlling an instrument. I am not sure, but this software may use a background process to create these reports, using the privileges of the current user. From reading the forum/documentation it seems that PDFCreator may have trouble with background processes. Aside from inelegant workarounds (eg. schedule a task to open and close PDFCreator once a minute,) do you have any other suggestions to remedy this situation?

Hi,

there might have been a problem replacing the pdfcmon (our print monitor) during the updates/reinstall. Please check the version for your pdfcmon.dll, it should be 0.9.4.0.
Background processes are ok as long as they run in the users session, it is services running in session 0 which are problematic.

Best regards,

Robin

Product version is listed as 0.9.4.0 for that file. Is there a way I could tell if the software is running in session 0, even though their documentation indicates that it runs that service with the privileges assigned to the user account?

Hi,

Can you set the logging level to trace in “application settings -> debug” and send the resulting log file to support (at) pdfforge.org? Also, can you clear the log file before testing with the logging level set to trace?

1. I set the level to trace and cleared the existing log
  2. ran my application to generate a printjob
  3. observed that the .inf and .ps files were created in the user’s spool folder
  4. checked the log (it was still empty)
  5. closed PDFCreator
  6. reopened PDFCreator
  7. observed jobs were processed and log was populated.
  8. emailed the log.

Hi,

I’ve had a look, but there unfortunately there was no error… Did everything went as aspected, or did the problem occur?

PDF files are created, but only after launching the app. If possible, I hope to not have to continually relaunch the app to process the spool.

I have verified that the session is session 0 by adding the SESSIONID token to my filename. If there is no way to have this automatically processed, please verify and I will look into other options. Thanks for all the quick answers!

Hi,

there is no official way to deal with this apart from getting PDFCreator Server, which natively runs as service itself. It might be possible to get it working by running PDFCreator as service with srvany or similar tools, but of course this is completly unsupported/untested.

Best regards,

Robin