Save user created paper size

I have a particular created page size I’m using for some DTP work, the final result is printed to PDF using PDFCreator, so using The PDFCreator Options- Document Properties 2, I set up a matching page size.

This all works fine and dandy, but I would like to be able to Save this definition somewhere so when I need to return to it I don’t have to re-enter the measurements again.

Is this possible, if so how?

Thanks

Arturox

Since I posted the above earlier today, I’ve been using another computer and an up to date version of PDFCreator.

So where have all the options dialogues gone that were in the earlier version, the ones for example that allowed me to set in Document properties 2, a custom page size?

I can’t seem to find that in the later versions.

Which means I can’t print my particular (Unusual) page size document.

Ax

Well, I guess as some time has passed and no answer thundered to my rescue, there is no answer to either question.

Ax

Hi,

there are no options to set the page size in the GUI. PDFCreator will use the page size defined in the printing application.
If the printing application doesn’t have an option to set the page size, you could try changing the default page size in the properties of the virtual PDFCreator printer.

Best regards,

Robin

Thanks for the reply, however the info is not quite correct.

I have a number of unusual page sizes specific to some projects I’m working on in my DTP. In older versions of PDFCreator they print without any bother.

In the most recent versions of PDFCreator the options to set a page size seem to have mysteriously vanished along with a lot of other configs… Consequently I’'ve not been able to PDF a document that in the past PDFCreator would print.

For this reason I’ve had to uninstall PDFCreator and re-install an older version… Lo and behold, as if by a miracle, assuming I’ve set the correct page size in PDFCreator in the GUI (“PDFCreator PDF Print monitor-Options-Document properties 2”) I can again print my page correctly.

If you don’t know what Options I’m mentioning, I’ll take a screen grab of it and post upline for you to get and see (I’m assuming no binaries (Attachments) here?.

So, after setting the page size in the “PDFCreator Option - Document Properties 2” in an appropriate size… (Has to be calculated in “Units of 1/72 inch”).

Now in the Document processor (DTP) in which the document was created I have a page size of 2000 mm wide <-------> and 350 mm deep in obviously a landscape format.
In the document app when I click Print… From the dialogue I select PDFCreator.

In the Print Properties for PDFCreator - Layout - Advanced, I can select a paper size none of which are suitable for my document, so I select “PostScript Custom Page Size” into which I enter the Width 2000.00mm, Height 350.00mm and set paper feed Direction as Short edge first.
Click to print and PDFCreator goes through its processes and presents me with a PDF document that in a PDF reader displays all of the document, all 2 metres of it.

BUT If I don’t first set a suitable page size in “PDFCreator Option - Document Properties 2”. Regardless of any page size I set in the Document processor (DTP) Print Properties - for PDFCreator - PostScript Custom Page Size, the resulting PDF only shows a small part of my rather large document.

This is the same thing that happens in the later versions (Now uninstalled) because I cannot find the “PDFCreator Option - Document Properties 2” page size dialogue, or it has been removed.

If I am wrong and there is still a page size dialogue in the later versions GUI, Please tell me where it is because I can’t find it?

Thanks
Ax

NB: The version I’ve reverted to so that I can again print my large documents is PDFCreator 1.6.2

Ax

Hi,

I am afraid the setting really no longer exists, but am not sure why it doesn’t work when defining the custom page size directly. If the documents are always the same size and you’d like to give the new PDFCreator version another try, you could define a permanent custom paper size using windows print management , but I am not sure if it will solve the problem.

Best regards,

Robin

Thanks for getting back with some thoughts, appreciated.
I now already have a required page size defined in Win Print Management so I don’t have to keep creating it every time I need that page size.

I bit the bullet for the lordy knows how many times and installed the newer version 2.3.0 to test… But unfortunately as before, PDFCreator just will not print the size.
No matter what I do, all I get is a small section of the very large page.

Maybe it’s me no doing it right… I dunno I was out of ideas last time around…

Uninstalled 2.3.0 for the umpteenth time, reinstalled PDFCreator 1.6.2 checked the page size was correct in Options, did a test PDF print of the document, No problem at all.

Unfortunately, unlike some apps, the PDFCreator Installer doesn’t allow more than one version to be installed, so I guess If I’m going to stick with PDFCreator, I’ll have to continue with 1.6.2

Thanks
Ax

Right, I decided to try and get a handle on this…
I’ve been reticent about messin with things on my main work computers for obvious reasons, so I dug out my old laptop and set that up with the PDFCreator stuff so I could install/uninstall/install with impunity.

I eventually managed to print a PDF out of my 2 metre document successfully from PDFCreator 2.3.0

I’ve got some work, work to finish so I write later about what it was.

Ax

This is enough to get a fellow banging his head on the desk…

So PDFCreator 2.3.0 running on a 32bit Win 7 Home Laptop will print a PDF of the large document okay and consistently.

Having now reinstalled PDFCreator 2.3.0 on my main Desktop PC running Win 7 Pro 64bit, I make the settings exactly the same as the Laptop.
The Win Print Management page size is exactly the same, not only in size but in name.

The original 2 metre document is the same document as the one used on the Laptop.

Print, make sure the Print settings are the same, exactly.
Click to print the PDF.

Bwaaaaa! all wrong, it’s just printing a small bit of the document and in the wrong orientation.

I’ve tried this a number of times but It still prints only a bit and wrong orientation. (Some expletives were uttered).

Go back to the Laptop and it still prints a PDF correctly.

New thought! Could it be the PDF reader app?

That said it is the same Foxit PDFReader on both machines, so over the LAN I transfer a good PDF document from the Laptop to the Desktop and into the Foxit PDFReader, where it display perfectly okay.

I transfer the bad PDF from the Desktop over to the Laptop, into Foxit PDFReader where is displays wrong.

So it is not the PDFReader causing the problem.

Now I am lost…
Again I shall install 1.6.2 on the desktop, get on with my work and forget about this cursed changed version.

Gordon Bennett!

Ax

G’day folks.
Obviously 1.6.2 still does the business with with my large document PDF(ing)
But…
As an aside to work stuff, when I get a few moments I’m still thinking about this weird problem with 2.3.0
So I’m wondering, If I detail here what I do to print out of 2.3.0 maybe some kind person will have a looksee and tell me if or where I’m going wrong in the process?

If I get a yes from someone, then I’ll do the write up.

Thanks
Ax

Hi,

I will gladly have a look at it.

Best regards,

Robin

Thanks Robin.

Machine running Win 7 Pro 64bit

Install and run PDFCreator 2.3.0
Set some basic settings.
Profile settings:
Page orientation - Auto detect… (Also tried both Landscape and portrait.)
Viewer settings - Single page view.

The document to be printed out of the DTP is the exact same document that prints perfectly okay in PDFC 1.6.2 and it’s printed out of the exact same DTP and on this exact same computer.

Doc size in the DTP is 2000.00 mm Horizontal and 350.00 mm Vertical.

I have a page of that size an orientation set up in the ‘Devices & Printers-Print Server Properties Forms’
W= 200.00 cm and H= 35.00 cm

In the DTP call up the printer dialogue and set PDFCreator. (I have multiple printers).
Properties:
Orientation - Landscape
Advanced - Paper
Set at my 2k350mm size.

Ok Properties.
Click Print
“Area to be printed is bigger than the paper size and will be cropped etc.”

Yes to Print.
It now appears to do some business but the reader then displays a blank/empty PDF.

I then did a lot of tests with different settings and either ended up with again a blank PDF or a PDF outline that displayed landscape but only contained an A4 section of the large document and in the wrong orientation.

This does include creating a PS Custom page size on the fly… Also failure.

I decided rather than bore you with many many A4 pages of test processes, it would be easier if you jotted me a few settings down that I can try and should/might work. :wink:

Settings in PDFCreator.
Settings in the Print dialogue.

Thanks
Ax

Not forgetting:
The document to be printed out of the DTP is the exact same document that prints perfectly okay in PDFC 1.6.2 and it’s printed out of the exact same DTP and on this exact same computer.

Had a few more goes at this thing and still no joy.
I have some work waiting to be PDF’d so I’m going to uninstall 2.3.0 and revert to the earlier version again.

Gordon Bennett what a farce.

Ax

Yup! I can report that after I’d reverted to the earlier version, I could once again PDF print the work I had in hand correctly.

Ax