Is pdf/a by pdf-creator equal to pdf/a by acrobat?

We are using pdf-creator to create pdf/a files (for a judicial trial).
Is it possible that the pdf/a created with pdf-creator is different from pdf/a created with Acrobat?
Is there an official comparison between the above mention pdf/a?
Thank you.

Hi,

in general there might be slight differences, but PDFCreator will create fully compliant PDF/A.
The main difference is between the possible PDF/A formats, PDFCreator currently supports PDF/A-1b and PDF/A-2b, while I can imagine Adobe might support more of them.

Best regards,

Robin

thank you so much.
In Italy, there’s a way to file online a judicial procedure to the Court.
You must convert any file in pdf/a.
To convert the file to pdf (from word or from other pdf), no problems are given by the Court’s software if you use the “save as pdf”.
If you convert by PDFCreator (using “print as pdf”) an error appears.
This is the reason why I have asked about possible differences.
Very strange, isn’t it?

Hi,

did you set PDFCreator to create PDF/A-1b or PDF/A-2b? Which error message did you get?
PDF/A is quite a complicated standard, even different software built specifically for validating PDF/A files will sometimes give different results for the same file. PDFCreator Plus/ Business additionally try to fix any PDF/A related issues after the conversion, while PDFCreator freeware relies on Ghostscript to get everything right (which it usually does).

Best regards

Robin

No, it was set to create PDF/A !
I will try and get back in case of permanent error.
Thank you very much.

Hi,

if you selected the PDF/A profile, PDFCreator will use PDF/A-2b, which is a bit less restrictive than PDF/A-1b.
You can however change the output format to PDF/A-1b during the print job or by changing the output format in the “convert” tab of the PDF/A profile’s settings.
Please try if this solves the isue.

Best regards,

Robin

1 Like