PDF preview handler in Windows folder explorer

Upon installing PDF Architect, the progra also set itself as the default handler for PDF preview in the Windows File Explorer preview pane. I want to switch this back to Acrobat. How can I set the default program handler? Adobe has a setting in program preferences to enable/disable its handling of preview, but I cannot find a similar function in Architect.

Hi,

you can modify the installation of PDF Architect via the Windows Control Panel.
Select PDF Archtiect from the list of installed programs and cleick on uninstall/modify and select modify in the next step. Then uncheck the Windows Explorer integration for the main application and click next to complete the modification.

Best regards,

Robin

Hi,

For begin, I would say thank you for the free part of the sofware.

Ok, I upgraded pdf creator and the pdf architect by mistake (I didn’t said no on the second invite).

You should consider the first no as the definitive answer ; that’s not nice to push the people to install.

And appreared the extension in Windows folder explorer.

This extension look great, I mean it is a great idea but the previous/next page button isn’t easy to use. I notice we also loose the button previous / next with the tif files.

I suggest you only install the basics and let the end user add the extension they need.

Respectfully

Valery

Hi Valery,

thank you for the feedback.
The second screen isn’t intended to push the people to install, but rather to point out the benefits of installing PDF Architect, as we initially got a lot of questions about the functionality included in the free PDF Architect modules, which the screen explains.
Regarding the extension, I am afraid I don’t fully understand your feedback; do you mean the integration into the context menu (when you right click onto a file), or the preview for PDF? Settings for tif files should remain unchanged, PDF Architect only provides a preview handler for PDF. In most cases you can easily remove PDF Architect and all its components by uninstalling it through the Windows control panel, where you can also modify the installation to remove any components you don’t need.

Best regards,

Robin

Hi Robin,

Thank you for your answer.

Yes, I mean the preview for PDF, and yes you are right, I thought we had the button “previous / next” for the tif files, but after checking on internet, it look I was wrong.

I uninstalled because of all the buttons we can’t use without activate the product and I suggest you hide all the fonctionnalities we can’t use.

It could be nice to ofer a try period and hide the button after and give the possitiliy to the users to show or hide the all the buttons then from the settings.

For the tif files, previous and next buttons in the Windows explorer pane would be appreciate.

And please let the navigation buttons for the pdf, yours appear as a menu; and it is reallly not usefull!

Greetings.

Valéry

Hi Valery,

thank you for explaining, I understand now.
SInce none of our applications are able to open tif files natively (if you open a tif with PDF Architect, it will automatically convert it to PDF before opening it), we will not be able to provide a preview handler for tif files. It might be possible to get a better preview handler for tif files by installing a different image viewer, but this is outside the scope of our support.
I will forward your suggestions to our marketing team, perhaps some of the things can be improved for the next release.

Best regards,

Robin

Hi Robin. I’ve attempted to follow your suggestion. Nothing seems to have changed, and I’m still a little confused. I’m running Windows 10, and some of the dialog boxes appear to be different to what you suggest. Would it be possible for you to post—or email me—a few screenshots to elucidate?
Thanks.
David

Hi David,

I will be happy to help, but I am afraid I am currently not 100% sure what you are trying to accomplish, as there are some slightly different issue being addressed in this thread here. Are you trying to change the preview handler for PDF files?

Best regards,

Robin

Hi Robin,

My question related to this post:

I’ve attempted to follow your suggestion. Nothing seems to have changed, and I’m still a little confused. I’m running Windows 10, and some of the dialog boxes appear to be different to what you suggest. Would it be possible for you to post—or email me—a few screenshots to elucidate?
Thanks.

Hi David,

have you already tried re-enabling the preview in Adobe?
My OS is in German, but here are some screenshots to demonstrate how to remove the PDF Architect Explorer preview

1. press uninstall modify here
  2. select modify:

3.uncheck the checkbox for the Windows explorer preview so that the screen look like

and press next.
    It should now show

you might need to restart Windows afterwards for the change to take effect.

Best regards

Robin

1 Like

Thanks Robin - I just used this thread to repair the previewer in windows explorer

1 Like

I have had to do the same too, just now, after searching for a solution to the problems caused by an 'ever-on' previewer.

Sadly, with this application continuously running in the background, it prevents any user from changing the location, or even the name of a pdf file, because it is seen by windows as being open in PDF Architect. That's a really big issue for me, since the place a PDF print is saved to, is not the folder I will eventually require it to be archived in.

If there is a means to allow PDF Architect to perform as a previewer, without causing this hindrance, then please make that change to the program. Adobe's viewer does not seem to have this problem, so it does seem to be possible to implement it in the same way - unless some of the functionality offered by PDF Architect prevents this?

Other than that, thanks for the efforts in providing this utility.

PeterB