PDF Creator ver.2.5.2.5233

Hi,

I've discovered that we have many machines with PDF Creator version 2.5.2.5233 installed, these are mostly Windows 7 OS worstations.
As silent installation is not available in domain environment anymore, is it possible to update only Ghostscript within old PDF Creator 2.5.2.5233 or should I install the latest version of PDF Creator with the latest Ghostscript?

Thank you in advance,
Peeter.

Hi Peeter,

I am afraid it won't be possible to directly update the Ghostscript installation to the latest version in PDFCreator 2.5.2 without potentially causing issues.
We had to slightly modify PDFCreator in order to make it work with the latest Ghostscript versions, so some or even all features of PDFCreator 2.5.2 might not work in combination with the latest GS.
The silent install in domains is still possible in PDFCreator Business, it only got removed from the free version.

Best regards

Robin

Hi Robin,

Thank you for provided information. I understand tat PDF Creator Business edition still have silent installation functionality. Will think about it too.
I did the test and replaced 3 files: gsdll32.dll, gsdll32.lib and gswin32c.exe (extracted from ghostscript ver.9.26) in C:\Program Files(x86)\PDFCreator\Ghostscript\Bin\ directory.
I'm still able to generate pdf files with PDF Creator 2.5.2.5233 from notepad, wordpad, and microsoft applications such winword, excel and so on...
Could it cause any issues?
My target is to mitigate vulnerability in older Ghostscript versions without updating PDF Creator.

Br,
Peeter

Hi Peeter,

regular PDF creation might still work without issues, I think it was PDF/A and/or PDF/X causing the issues.
Possibly it was also a bug in GS 9.25 which was then fixed in 9.26 (we needed to change the order of the parameters when calling GS). If you can generate normal PDF files from Office etc, it should work for all other applications as well. Maybe you just won't be able to create PDF/A or PDF/X.

Best regards

Robin