PDFCreator 1.7.3 suddenly seems to stop working

Hi y’all!

even though support for v1.7.3 has ended a couple of years ago I’m still hoping for an answer.
We’re using PDFCreator as a way to automatically create PDFs from RTF files by starting the PDF creator process with parameters “/PF” from our application. This seemed to work quite well for a while but occasionally the PDFCretor stops working and doesn’t convert any files. Even if I manually start the PDFCreator and try to load a rtf file nothing happens. Right now, only a reinstall seems to help. After that, the PDFCreator is working again for a short period of time.
The PDFCreator log doesn’t say anything, by the way.

The described problems are occuring on both Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2012.

I hope somebody can help.

Kind regards

Hi,

sounds like a permission problem with your user accounts %temp% folder.
Did you set the logging level to “trace”?

Best regards,

Robin

Hi Robin,

thanks for the fast response. How to set the log level to trace? There are no log settings in v.1.7.3.

Best regards,

Hi,

I am afraid I am not 100% sure where the setting for this was in version 1.7.3, perhaps it is a hidden setting in the registry or version 1.7.3 only had an on/off switch for the logging. Have you checked the permissions for the folder %temp%\PDFCreator? It really sounds like the problem is caused by those.

Best regards,

Robin

Hi Robin,

permissions are OK but I noticed something yesterday while checking the permissions on the %TEMP% folder.
On one machine, which stopped the proccessing of RTF files, I found 2 PDFCreator folders. The first one directly in %TEMP% dir - which was empty and the second one in "%TEMP% / 1 " which contained hundreds of *.ps files which weren’t processed. I tried to copy a couple pf *.ps files from %TEMP%/1 to %TEMP% and all of a sudden the PDFCreator processed the file.

We are using both RDP and TeamViewer to connect to the server machine. Can you explain what’s happening here?

Kind regards,

Hi,

this is probably related to which session ID the print jobs are coming from and it might not be possible to fix this in v 1.7.3. It sounds like it is writing the spool files to %temp%\1 but looking for them in %temp%

best regards,

Robin

Hi Robin,

wouldn’t disabling the group policy, which is responsible for creating additional temp folders for each session, fix this problem?

Additionally we noticed on another machine that the *.ps files are created in C:\Windows\Temp. Can you explain this? (Env. variables are correctly set for the user).

Regards,

Hi,

disabling that group policy could solve the issue, I wasn’t aware of this but it sounds like it is worth a try.
I am afraid I have no idea what could cause the temp files to get spooled to that path, apart from the environment variables.

Best regards

Robin

Hi there…

Having this same issue in here… Same versions of windows and PDFCreator.
Was this issue solved ? How ?

Thank you very much or your help.

Faber

There haven’t been any reports about this in current releases, updating should solve the issue.