Custom paper sizes

Hello,

I'm working on using PDFCreator 1.3.2 on Windows Server 2003 to automatically create PDF files with a custom paper size. The application knows what paper size to use, and needs to support any size.

I am trying to do this by configuring the PDFCreator with a fixed, custom paper size.  If I can get it to work manually, I think I can automate it by writing the appropriate settings to the registry from my program.

To test this, for example with a 6"x6" document, I start up PDFCreator and go to Options, then Document, then Document properties 2, then select Use fixed paper size, Use custom paper size, and enter a size of 432x432 points.  I press Save and close out PDFCreator.  Then I start up Notepad, create a simple document, and print it to PDFCreator.  Since I have chose a fixed, custom paper size, I expect the resulting PDF file to be 6"x6".  However, Acrobat Reader instead reports it as letter-size (8.5"x11").  I can print to a custom size by selecting the appropriate options within the Notepad print dialog, but I don't know how to automate selections for that dialog.

I expected the fixed, custom paper size option in PDFCreator to cause all documents created by PDFCreator to use that paper size.  Is that what this feature is supposed to do, or do I misunderstand it?  If that's what's it supposed to do, any idea why it's not working for me, and any tips in troubleshooting?

Any other tips on how to get the result I am after?

Thanks!

-----Scott.

Hi Robin,

Do you know of an automated way to adjust those printer settings from a program?  And what the "Use fixed paper size" and "Use custom paper size" settings do if not set the paper size?

Thanks!

-----Scott.

Hi,

I don´t know how to automate those settings, but "Use custom paper size" is indeed not working as it should, we are looking into this issue at the moment. (Use fixed paper size works).

regards,

Robin

Hi,

you can set the paper size for the PDFCreator printer in Windows (printer setings-> advanced).

regards,

Robin

Great, I would be happy to help test out a new version!

Do you happen to know an earlier version where this feature works?  It would really help test something out.

Thanks!

-----Scott.

Spent some time searching for a version that works.  I configured each version with a 6"x6" fixed page size.  All the versions I tried worked OK when printing a test page, but when printing from Firefox produced a PDF with 8.5"x11" pages instead of 6"x6".  Here are the versions I tried:

I didn't go back further, but if there's reason to think I might have better luck there, please let me know and I'll keep trying.

This is a feature that would be very useful for a project I'm working on right now, if there's any way to "sponsor" a feature that might help the developers devote some extra time to it, please let me know, I'd be happy to talk about it.

Thanks!

------Scott.

Hi,

I have taken a closer look at this and noticed two things: You got to make sure that the apllication you are printing from actually keeps the page size setting and doesn´t modify it.

There is a workarround: You can define your own paper formats with Windows Print Services,

and then assign them to the PDFCreator printer. In fact, after having added the custom paper sizes with Windows Print Services, you can try to reinstall PDFCreator and your custom paper sizes should show up in the "Use fixed paper size" dropdown list.

regards,

Robin

Thanks for looking at this Robin.  I am really looking for a way to automate this from the backend side of things, so I can choose a paper size from the PDFForge side of things instead of through the printing UI.  It is for an automatic process developed in Adobe Air, and the only options Air gives for printing is a fixed choice of about 12 paper sizes.  I was hoping that before printing I could configure pdfforge so that "US Letter" would be whatever size I wanted to print to, then just let the application print to that paper size and end up with the right output.

Sounds like it might not be that simple though..

The intrigue supervisor who are arrangement a Testking 70-667 answer in kinship to a VMware accreditation castes should go for a drills provider possessing good reviews. The entrance of the supplier should also be done on the VMware Web domain to give out Testking 70-659 approved courses.

Robin, how do you get to printer settings>advanced?

If you are referring to printers>PDF Creator>Preferences>Advanced, no that does not change the output paper size even when custom size is set.

Thank you.

"You can define your own paper formats with Windows Print Services,"

Robin, how do you get to Windows Print Services??

I have looked in Control Panel, Printers, Administrative Tools and run a search from the start menu to no avail.

Thank you.