InvalidCastException after creating files in 4.0.2

I just upgraded to 4.0.2 and after creating files, PDF Creator is crashing with the following error. The file seems to have been created properly.

Error Report for PDFCreator 4.0.2.10752

Exception:
InvalidCastException
Specified cast is not valid.
at pdfforge.PDFCreator.UI.Presentation.Helper.PlusHintHelper.GetLastJobCounter()
at pdfforge.PDFCreator.UI.Presentation.Helper.PlusHintHelper.QueryDisplayHint()
at pdfforge.PDFCreator.UI.Presentation.Workflow.InteractiveWorkflowManager.d__12.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at pdfforge.PDFCreator.UI.Presentation.PrintJobShell.<PrintJobShell_OnLoaded>d__4.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.CallbackWrapper(Object obj)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(CulturePreservingExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame)
at System.Windows.Window.ShowHelper(Object booleanBox)
at System.Windows.Window.ShowDialog()
at pdfforge.PDFCreator.Editions.EditionBase.ShellManager.ShowPrintJobShell(Job job)
at pdfforge.PDFCreator.UI.Presentation.Workflow.InteractiveWorkflow.DoWorkflowWork(Job job)
at pdfforge.PDFCreator.Core.Workflow.ConversionWorkflow.PrepareAndRun(Job job)
at pdfforge.PDFCreator.Core.Workflow.ConversionWorkflow.RunWorkflow(Job job)
at pdfforge.PDFCreator.Core.Workflow.JobInfoQueueManager.ProcessJob(JobInfo jobInfo)
at pdfforge.PDFCreator.Core.Workflow.JobInfoQueueManager.ProcessJobs()
at pdfforge.PDFCreator.Utilities.Threading.SynchronizedThread.RunThread()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

I'm getting the same error in Win10 (18362.592). After a full uninstall of PDFArchitect and PDFCreator, the reinstall is now operating correctly.

I'm running

Windows 10.0.18363 Release 1909

I will try uninstalling and reinstalling clean.

I do not have PDF Architect installed.

I also had the exact same error (Win 10 1909). A full uninstall and reinstall fixed everything too (only PDFCreator).

I am the OP and I just uninstalled and reinstalled and it also fixed my problem. So I guess there's some problem with residual info not being cleaned up (or overwritten) during an updated install but obviously not when installing fresh.

I can confirm that uninstalling and reinstalling did fix whatever was causing the issue which points to a problem with the upgrade as misterbill mentioned. It was a pain because I had to rebuild my profiles. Time to use the export settings feature. :wink:

Hi,

sorry for the trouble.
We have found the cause of this issue and fixed it for PDFCreator 4.0.3, which will be available soon.

Best regards

Robin

1 Like