when I issue a command to print a .doc or .docx document with MS Word using PdfCreator 1.7.3 when the Word is already open, under specific conditions it always prints to a default system printer instead of using the PdfCreator printer. Is this a MS Word or a PdfCreator issue?
Here are the steps how to reproduce the problem:
- Make sure that PdfCreator is not a default system printer.
- Make sure that MS Word does not use PdfCreator printer by default.
- Close MS Word.
- Create two files: a.docx and b.docx
- Open a.docx and do nothing else with it.
- Issue a command to print b.docx: PDFCreator.exe /NOSTART /PF"path_to_the\b.docx"
- The print job will be sent to the default system printer.
If you issue the print command when the MS Word is not open, there is no problem.
This can be reproduced with MS Word 2010 on Windows 7 but I’ve been told the same thing happens with MS Word 2007 or 2013 on Windows 8, although I haven’t tested that myself.