Question on saving files, and feature suggestion

When I am in MS Word or anything else and go to print my Word doc to PDF, Architect 6 sets the default path as: "Documents/PDF Architect". In settings it allows you to change this location. That is fine for those who want it that way, but I'd much rather just have it print the pdf to the same directory as where the original file is located. Is there an option to do that? If not, PLEASE PUT IT ON THE TO DO LIST.

It also sets the default file name as "Microsoft Word - (original file name).pdf" I wish it would not do this. If the Word doc was MyFile.docx, why not just default to MyFile.pdf? If that is not on your list, please add it.

Hi,

I am afraid the information on where the file is stored doesn't actually get sent to the printer, so it is impossible to know where the file came from if it is sent to the PDF Architect printer.
Same goes for the filename; this is actually the title Word gives the print job which it sends to the printer and PDF Architect uses the print job's title as file name template.
In case your workflow requires a lot of (semi) automatic conversion, you could additionally install PDFCreator, which has more options to configure the automatic naming and will open the converted documents in PDF Architect by default.

Best regards

Robin

Ok. But please send this request on to your programmers. There is probably a way to record where the source file came from, and its default name, and then have it load the name and path for the printer. Challenge those guys and they'll figure it out. Very annoying as it is.

Hi,

I am part of the PDFCreator development team, the windows printing system doesn't support what you are asking for.
It is very well possible when directly converting the file, but not when it gets sent to the printer.
A hardware printer doesn't gain anything from knowing the filename or original path, it just needs to know how to render the content to the paper. The Windows printing system was built for hardware printers and therefore has a lot of restrictions. Not even the inbuilt MS PDF printer has the possibility to get hold of the original file name. If possible it is always better to directly convert the document instead of sending it through the printing system.

Best regards

Robin