Unable to install PDFCreator v3

I get a ShellExecuteEx failed; code -1073741819 on Windows 10

if I run as administrator I get File system error -1073741819

Suggestions

Hi,

which edition are you trying to install?
Are you using the MSI or .exe installer?
A quick research for the error code 1073741819 seems to suggest this is more likely a Windows error than a PDFCreator error.

Best regards,

Robin

I am trying to install v3 latest just downloaded
Seems it is a UAC error (ugh...)
Web solution is to change the sound scheme to off or to Windows Default. This may have worked in the past but isn't working for me. In fact I am an Administrator but can't do anything that requires Admin privileges - including creating an new user to test :frowning:
Thanks then latest Windows 10 update...

Are you running this on a virtual machine?
Have you tried to disable the entire system sound temporarily?
I am afraid since this isn’t really related to PDFCreator we don’t know really anything about this.

Best regards

Robin

Thanks for getting back to me Robin, yes luckily this is a virtual machine and I have rolled back to a snapshot before the latest Windows update which is what seems to have broken my Admin account… I have now installed v3 and it is working. Have snapshotted the VM and am now going to re run Windows update and hope it doesn’t break UAC again.

Not your fault - not a PDFCreator problem nor caused by PDFCreator… Which I discovered after I posted the query.

Thanks again for such prompt attention.

Hi,

I mainly asked if it is a VM, as there were some posts which indicated this is caused by using 3d accelerated graphics in a VM, perhaps disabling those will do the trick.

Best regards

Robin

Thanks for that tip but that was not the problem, the problem was Windows which had broken the UAC and although I was Admin nothing requiring Admin worked. I resorted to restoring a previous snapshot of the VM and then I was able to install PDFCreator as usual.
Mark this one as closed and thanks for your input.

Simon