29100 - Internal GhostScript Error

User came across PDF that when they print to PDFCreator it will end up with error “29100 - Internal GhostScript Error.”

Tried multiple computers as different users. Users were able to print via Microsoft’s PDF printer as workaround.

What does that error mean in case I come across this?

Hi,

it looks like this issue is caused by unicode characters inside the user account name.
However, those will usually not (and shouldn’t) cause this problem, as PDFCreator has a function to replace these if needed and in theory the Ghostscript version we currently use should be able to handle them in the first place; so it is still a bit of a mistery.
However the error will cause the conversion to cancel and no output will get created if it occurs; a possible work around until we have found the exact problem could be renaming the user account, if possible.

Best regards,

Robin

29100 - Internal GhostScript Error

That problem is already solved ?

Hi,

unfortunately not, as it is unclear what exactly is causing it and all logs sent to us so far don’t contain any information on the actual Ghostscript error. Does this happen for you only when printing from a certain application?

Best regards,

Robin

Hi,

The error occurs when printing two pages of different pdf files, the user tries to join them in a single file with the PDF creator version PDFCreator 2.4.1

Best regards,

Oscar

Hi,

The user's computer has the Windows 8.1 Enterprise operating system installed

Best Regards,

Oscar

Same Problem. Same 29100 Internal Error. I am trying to print from Autocad. Is 6 Years I am using Pdf Creator, never happened before. Don’t know how to solve.

Hi,

for now the best solution is probably to reinstall PDFCreaotr 2.3.2 which still uses an older Ghostscript version: http://download.pdfforge.org/download/pdfcreator/list
It will most likely take a while for us to find out what exactly is causing this, as so far it has been impossible to reproduce this here. Any example documents which lead to this error are apprectiate, if you can supply any please send them to support(at)pdfforge.org (we won’t be able to use the autocad file though).

Best regards,

Robin

@Robin.W - We have the Business version of PDFCreator. Can I still use the link you provided for version 2.3.2?

Hi,

for the Business Edition setups, please use
http://download.pdfforge.org/download/pdfcreator-business/list

Best regards,

Robin

Summary

It will most likely take a while for us to find out what exactly is causing this, as so far it has been impossible to reproduce this here. Any example documents which lead to this error are apprectiate, if you can supply any please send them to support(at)pdfforge.org (we won’t be able to use the autocad file though).

Hi Robin,
I have the same issue.
I send you (to your support) a file (Voiture autonome 0.pdf) that occurs this bug.
This pdf is the result of several merged pdf files. As you can notice, all the pages are not in the same format.
Then I use PdfCreator to fit all the pages in the same format (A4). When I launch the pdf creator impress, the bug appears at the end of the process.
Hope this sample help you to fix this anoying bug.
Regards,
Ticrob

Ps : my configuration : Windows 7 pro 64 bits / Ghostscript 9.20 for Windows (64 bit) / PDFCreator-2_4_1

Thanks to Ticrobs example document and description we were able to reproduce the error and find a temporary solution:
Run regedit.exe and change HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\pdfforge\PDFCreator\Settings\ConversionProfiles\0\PdfSettings FastWebView to false. (0 is the default profile, to set this for other profiles replace 0 with the number of the profile you are going to use)
We usually use -dFastWebView=true which enables to display the start of the PDF before the end has been loaded, but this seems to be causing a Ghostscript error under some conditions.

Best regards,

Robin

Thank you Robin for the fix and the quickness of your solution :wink:
Ticrob

Hi Robin,
I tried the above WA (Set to False the FastWebView registry) but I still have the error message "29100 - Internal GhostScript Error".
I also tried to downgrade to previous release suggested above 2.3.2 but without success.
I use W7 Entrerprise X64, Office2016, PDFCreator 2.4.1 and trying to convert an xls file.

Please let me know if you need the xls file that generate this error in order to perform troubleshooting on it.

Regards

Upgraded to PDFCreator for Terminal Server 2.4.1 last night and users began experiencing this exact issue this morning. The registry change has been fixing the problem, so far.

I created a “.REG” file encompassing the change that I could link my users to, as a temporary fix, and will roll the changes out via Group Policy after some additional testing.

Hi Robin,

I did a trial and error and found that this 29100 Internal Ghostscript Error occurs only when I am merging a PDF that is password protected. For those without password protection, they merge perfectly.

Hope this helps.

Nothing to do. I did everything (remove, reinstall, installed last and older GhostScript version, set the registry, traced…), but I wasn’t able to fix the “29100 Internal GhostScript error” and I’m not able to use the PDFCreator. I also tried to generate TEST page from Settings menu, but I received the same error. The only way to fix it is remove it and use another software :frowning:

Hi

I’ve had the same error when trying to print a merged pdf file.

Just wanted to let you know that changing the registry fixed the issue.

Let me add that I use version 2.4.1.

Best Regards
Lars

Hi KYH,

sorry I should have pointed this out: the error code is what we use for an internal Ghostscript error, which will always occur when attempting to redistill or merge encrypted PDFs, as Ghostscript doesn’t allow this by design.
But the FastWebView setting (or any other unexpexted error) can also cause an internal Ghostscript error.

Best regards,

Robin

Hi,

please send us the tracelog we will gladly have a look at this.

Best regards,

Robin